Barangay Mabacong

Barangay Officials
Ana A. Antido Punong Barangay
Diosdado A. Villanueva Brgy. Kagawad
Polly R. Bayeta Brgy. Kagawad
Asuncion A. Mendoza Brgy. Kagawad
Nazario M. Piosang Brgy. Kagawad
Kharen A. Ramirez Brgy. Kagawad
Samuel A. Ramirez Brgy. Kagawad
Igmedio D. Culla Brgy. Kagawad
Rica Mae A. Ramirez SK-Chairman
Belen R. Librado Brgy. Secretary
Geraldine E. Asi Brgy. Treasurer


Physical & Demographic Characteristics
Land Area (has) : 243.1138
Population 2015 (PSA) :
Number of Purok/Sitios : 5
Boundaries : North - Buboy Tree
South - Monte Maria
West - Mountain
East - Sea


Other Information



     The present official name of the barrio is Mabacong. The popular name is Matuko which is its former name. It was called Matuko, because the water that time is quite dangerous for the people passing along. They always see reptiles called, "tuko”. It is now called mabacong because the people who landed there discovered thick plants, "bakong", from which the name was derived. The other sitio includes Pagkilatan. Both Mabacong and Pagkilatan were administered by one Pangulo. This barrio was established when Batangas town came into existence.

     Some of the original families were the following: Marasigan, Asi, de la Virgen, Rayos, Panaligan, Ramirez, Ilagan, Ceneza, and Mendoza.

     The successions of tenientes from the earliest time to date are as follows:

1. Brigido Cepillo
2. Luis Panganiban
3. Agido Amparo
4. Victor Panganiban
5. Lorenzo Cantos
6. Isaac Ceniza
7. Castor Balmes
8. Julio Ramirez

     According to the old man of the barrio, there were but four houses in the barren land. The land was surrounded with trees and in short it was a thick forest. It was only twenty years ago that the people started to clear the place. Gradually, the barrio was cleared of trees by the people who desired to live in the place. They brought their families with them to earn their living. Farming and fishing are the sources of their income. Since then, the population has increased innumerably.

     There are two historical sites that the people can remember. A place of historical story is one of which is Nabulid. It is hilly; rocks are loose, located in the eastern part of the barrio. Its name was derived from the way the rocks fell off the cliff which still to the present are found lying on the shore. Another story about Nabulid, according to the old folks, was that it was used as the cemetery of the victims of cholera epidemic in 1902.

     Another historical place is “Napayong", a big stone with an umbrella shape, located on the southern point of the barrio. The spot is quite inviting to some travelers and excursionists.

     During the Spanish occupation the people suffered much from the punishment of the guardia civil. They treated the people hereby that made them hide in caves of forests in order to evade the guards. Civilization is very slow. Transportation is difficult. Boats are few. Majority of the people are illiterate. They have simple foods and clothing. They planted crops as corn, rice and other crops. They also raise pigs, goats, and fowls. The people are Catholics. They performed the “Nobena" especially during May.

     In 1938, before the outbreak of the World War II, a school was established in this community under the supervision of Mr. Galicano Luansing. The first barrio teacher of this place was Miss Daniana Salva. Due to the outbreak of the war in 1941, the school was closed. People evacuated to Mindoro, Verde Island and to the neighboring communities as Culayo and Lilinggiwan. During the Japanese occupation, the people transact business. They engage into barter system.

     During and after liberation, people returned to the community and resume their normal life. At present some of the families in Mabacong own motor boats for business.

     In the year 1949, rebels hide in this place. People again fled to town and stayed there for a quite time. It did not last long when the situation became clear. Up to the present the life of the people of the community is normal.